Monday, May 09, 2005

Yiddish


In order to get in touch my roots and not let those expensive years of Hebrew School go to waste, I've decided to take up Yiddish. You might be wondering, why would I try to learn a mostly dead language when I've had difficulty with Spanish since 6th grade? Well, I've always had an interest in it, and now seems like the right time. My Dad knows it conversationally, and my grandmother knows some as well, so I would be able to work on pronunciation with them, but I would learn it mostly from the book to the right. My grandmother is letting me borrow her two copies of the 1949 textbook, "Yiddish for Adults" as well as an English to Yiddish dictionary. I'm not so concerned with learning how to write completely proficiently, but there are various communities of Yiddish speakers around the world that I would like to be able to converse with. Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Rififi
-Vertigo
-The Last Laugh
-Solaris
-Chinatown
-Aguirre (Der Zorn Gottes)
-Blade Runner
-Yojimbo
-The Bicycle Thief
-Annie Hall
-The Good, the bad, and the ugly
-Metropolis
-cool hand luke
-fistful of dollars
-Andrei Rublev
-Apu Trilogy
-Annie Hall
-Citizen Kane
-12 Angry Men
-Battleship Potemkin
-Other Buster Keaton (Steamboat Bill, Jr. / Sherlock Jr. Short Films)
-Modern Times
-Ikiru
-Throne of Blood
-Maltese Falcon
-Nosferatu
-Passion of Joan of Arc
-Ran
-Rashomon
-Stray Dog
-The Searchers
-Rules of the Game
-Seven Samurai
-The Third Man
-Sunset Boulevard
-Vertigo
-Rope
-Mean Streets
-Live of Mammals series
-400 Blows
-Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid
-Night of the Living Dead / Dawn of the Dead
-Floating Weeds
-Tokyo Story
-The Last Laugh
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
-Style Wars
-8 1/2
-Amarcord
-La Dolce Vita

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home