Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Mix CDs

While Mix tapes are still fun, it's just much easier to create Mix CDs now. With the advent of Itunes, I love dragging and dropping songs into a playlist, and watching that little warning-like symbol spin. I totally agree with High Fidelity (I'm paraphrasing here) in that making a mix is an art in itself, one in which you carefully articulate your feelings through the art of others. We've all gotten bad mixes, but when songs are put together well (sometimes it takes an interlude or a mediocre track) it just seems to gel. I just think that the art has become digital, and eventually, it might even be reduced to passing playlists through MP3 players or something. And, with all the extra space available on a CD, there is a question that each mix-maker needs to address. Do I fill the CD to its capacity, or do I make a really strong set of ten or so songs that's about a half-hour? Most musicians address this in one way or another as well, and my attitude is "fill'er up," but a surprising number of my friends tend to go the other way. Anyway, here is a recent one I made, of no particular theme—

  1. “Just Like Heaven” - The Cure 3:32
  2. “Hey” - Pixies 3:17
  3. “You Never Give Me Your Money” - The Beatles 4:02
  4. Holland, 1945” - Neutral Milk Hotel 3:12
  5. “Timorous Me” - Ted Leo & the Pharmacists 4:34
  6. “Digital Love” - Daft Punk 4:58
  7. “My Valuable Hunting Knife” - Guided by Voices 2:00
  8. “Alan Is A Cowboy Killer” - Mclusky 4:09
  9. “The Cool Song” - St. Thomas 3:34
  10. “When In Doubt, Just Fuck It (Interude)” - John Lennon 0:09
  11. “I'm a Ghost” - Ted Leo & the Pharmacists 4:27
  12. “Pick Up The Pieces” - Average White Band 3:58
  13. “I'm Cool (Interude)" - Outkast 0:42
  14. “Lion's Teeth” - The Mountain Goats 3:25
  15. “Hats Off To Larry” - Del Shannon 1:58
  16. “I Can Help” - Billy Swan 2:58
  17. “CQ” - Clinic 1:09
  18. “Short Circuit” - Daft Punk 3:26
  19. “Since U Been Gone / Maps” - Ted Leo & the Pharmacists 3:35
  20. “Baby One More Time” - Travis 3:30
  21. “Beat Bionic” - Uberzone 4:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home