Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Steve Keene's Paintings


I've always liked Steve Keene's work. I had a small Daft Punk cover painting of his, but as of tonight I have 15 more. I bought what I thought was 5 from his website, but he treated me to much, much more. I'm very happy with them. In subject, they vary from "TRAILERPARKER" to "PIGEONSINLOVE" to "ABRAHAMLINCOLN." I really like the philosophy of making art cheap, quick, accessible and fun. He's really Andy Warhol for the Twenty-first Century without all the crosses, guns and knives. A lot of people don't like his work because it looks simple and mistakes are apparant, but to Keene, the speed of production is just as important as the way it looks at the end. I like Keene's perspective; The more of his work you see, the more you see the world through his eyes. As awkward and unsettling it might seem to the museum fan, he has said in interviews that he's tried to get his work into stores like Costco. Luckily, the public isn't quite ready for it. Are you Kean on Keene?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look a lot better than the Daft Punk one. I esp. like the Fleetwood Mac birds. Mom

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home